Tuesday, May 12, 2009

When The Stones Sang "Time Is On My Side..."

...I wonder if they had this much of it on their hands.

Week #3 of convalescence tells me that while I am still convinced that I will retire the very second I can afford to, that I will not spend much time sitting / laying around. When that time is forced, it can be something of a sentence; granted, I'll take the lounging over a wheelchair or coffin, the other two options I faced when the accident occurred.

I read a lot. I mean, even when I am in the middle of the 70+ hour BS weeks, I read a lot. Now, I read a LOT. Stuff I'd never read otherwise.

For example, the idiot who, in his blog, suggests that CBS should fire David Feherty for his recent column in which he relayed the deep dismay our soldiers have over the current direction of our country. In a joke about Pelosi, Reid and Obama that, in the days before political correctness would have just been funny, Feherty danced right up to, but didn't cross the line. Feherty is not politically correct. He's not for everybody. He's controversial. He's not a journalist, for crying out loud, he's a golf commentator. He's not Walter Cronkite, nor is he Howard Cosell. He's more like Jerry Seinfeld, only with an Irish accent and funny.

He also does more for our soldiers than any other 1,000 people combined.

He knows them. He spends time with them. Over there, where the action is and where the risk is. He honors them. He supports them and he talks to them. He's seen the sadness in their eyes as an administration that was committed to protecting our nation gave way to one committed to "making friends" with people who are incapable of friendship. He's heard the anger in their voices as they've realized the funding they need to be safe in harms way is being spent on crap initiatives that reward people who've done nothing to deserve rewarding. All he did was relay that message back here in a comedic context. God knows the mainstream media won't touch it...it tarnishes their messiah.

With all this time on my side, I realize that the media is a huge part of the problem in our country, and therefore in the world today.

Thank God for the David Feherty's of the world.

A little bit of truth here and there...especially if it's in a funny context...can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment