...Barbara Boxer might be the drunkest. And I'm not sure she's ever taken a shot to the chin.
(That long pause you're hearing is discretion making it's all too rare visit to my thought process... Rest assured that before this post hits, several hundred characters will have hit this page, been deleted, re-typed and been deleted yet again...)
"Could you say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am?' " Boxer (D-CA) remarked recently to Brigadier General Michael Walsh. Walsh was testifying at a hearing that Boxer was chairing on the levees in New Orleans. "It's just a thing," she babbled on. "I worked so hard to get that title. I'd appreciate it."
(Long pause again. Wondering if I shouldn't just pick a different topic.)
Oh, how I wish the Brigadier General would have gone all "A Few Good Men" on her sorry, useless behind and said, "Right, you arrogant heap who disgraces our very form of government, and why don't you call me General, because I actually did have to work hard to earn that title."
I grew up on a farm. I have first-hand experience with hard work. I've noticed that it is often preceded by hard and thorough thought. In fact, very few people who work hard do so without realizing it. All too many, Barbara Boxer among them, mistake hard work for things that oh, like, aren't hard. People like Barbara Boxer have mistakenly come upon the perception that they matter; let alone that they matter more than anyone else.
My greatest fear is that unless we somehow correct the trend we face today, that the Barbara Boxer's and Nancy Pelosi's of the world will unduly impact my children's futures. I know they've already spent the money I've worked so hard to earn to educate and provide for them; my fear is that they will lower the bar on decorum so dramatically that somehow one of these generations will get the idea that laziness and misinformation are adequate perspectives from which to govern, or simply from which to decide. Heaven forbid that one of my daughters will consider Barbara Boxer a role model.
At least I can use Boxer as an example of how not to display proper manners. We've taught our kids that "Yes, Ma'am," and "No, Ma'am," are terms of respect. Sadly, respect is a topic that Barbara Boxer can't relate to, understand or recognize, even when it's aimed in her direction. Perhaps she's just that uncomfortable due to the realization that she hasn't earned it...or much of anything else, for that matter.
Friday, June 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment