There is a legend in sports that Secretariat's heart weighed 22 pounds. The "average" horse's heart weighs only about 8 pounds.
In other words, the legendary 1973 Triple Crown winner-by-a-rout had nearly three times the heart of most horses.
No one has weighed my wife's heart yet. I doubt they'll ever have reason to do so. For the record, though, just in case you're wonderin' -- actually, whether you're wonderin' or not -- my wife has about five times the heart of your "average" spouse.
One learns a lot about relationships in times of trial. One learns a lot about limits when limits are tested. One learns a lot about what makes them tick when the very "ticking" is drawn in to the gray area, as mine has been of late. After six weeks of caring for me in addition to The Three Who Will Not Be Tamed, and with seven more weeks ahead, including starting over tomorrow after a major surgery, not once has she wavered, not once has she complained, not once has she missed her stride. The kids are lucky to have her as their Mom, but not nearly as lucky as I am to have her as my partner, and as my wife.
Yesterday marked 11 years of marriage. Like most couples, there have been some bumps in the road during those 11 years, but the simple fact of the matter is this:
If I live to be 100 years old, no greater honor will be possible than the honor of being married to my wife.
With prayers for a steady hand on the part of my surgeon, and many years of good health to show my wife how much I appreciate her, I sign off this post knowing that Secretariat had nothing on my wife when it comes to matters of heart.
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I like this. I too, have always seen myself as an overachiever in this department.
ReplyDelete